Sunday, June 14, 2009

An interesting encounter

It was a cool spring Sunday morn. I had called for a taxi at 9am to downtown. The taxi arrived at 8.45 sharp ; at 8.59 the driver started honking. I am used to starting at Indian Standard Time 9am which is 9.10am. I murmured the impatience of the taxi driver and locked the door.A yellow cab was parked in front of the house. The driver was a man of 60,. He had green eyes and a bald head with strings of snow white hair here and there. He did not show the peace of mellow age; he was rather aggressive. His face and eyes had wrinkles; signs of a long journey in life. He wore brown sun glasses which he took out quite often. I gave him the print out of my destination with the route map. His impatience reflected in the way he sipped a mug of coffee which he carried. We were quiet for some time.

Finally I broke the ice asking about his familiarity with the route. He replied something carelessly and started cursing the traffic with an Arabic accent. I realised that the traffic was the culprit of his annoyance. After moments of silence, he started asking about my native country, how I landed up here,etc...and started narrating his story. He is a Palestinian software engineer, who fought in Yassar Arafat's army, who got sick of wars and homicide, moved to America for a peaceful life. A father of doctor & engineer sons and a daughter who is a teacher. He laughed saying that he had one wife; a surprise!
He was working on the data warehousing platform of a well-known American pharmacy.

Then why become a cab driver? It did not surprise me because in developed countries retired men who own a decent car, work part time as cab drivers and rent their cars. A fixed sum will be paid to the cab company everyday who in turn gives the addresses of callers.
May be these men drive for joy or for a living or for some pocket money or just to be active!

I could see the pride in his eyes when he said he owns a BMW Z4. He gave his card and informed that he will take people in BMW if they call him directly and not through the cab company; at little premium! Not a bad deal!

I was flabbergasted to learn that his father is still alive owning 4 six storied apartment complexes in Palestine. Retired from Palestinian navy, he is currently a maritime agent.

I was perplexed whether to believe him or not but sure he had no intention of lying or boasting his pride. Nor was he narcissistic.I felt truth when he talked about his joint family, beloved wife and children.I was moved by his concern when he gave hand sanitizer and warned about swine flu. He denied the tip I gave, saying that he drives for fun. Nevertheless, he made my journey fun and memorable with his stories.

Eventually he smiled and bid goodbye. He is flying back home for his daughter's wedding. His golden tooth sparkled in the sun.I should call him one day for a BMW ride !

No comments:

Post a Comment